Harewood House
Sunday, 22 October 1922
Mr Nordstrom,
I am writing with an update on your granddaughter, Everleigh. As you know, progress has stalled for quite some time now, with no improvement in her ability to focus or to reconnect the fragments of her memories. Her mind still behaves in unpredictable, erratic patterns that make it impossible for both my aunt and me to find the root of this breakdown. Though I have managed to witness her full memory of the Dark Tower incident from March 1921, it hasn’t revealed any new leverage points to work with.
Nevertheless, the fragments her mind seeks out all seem to share a common denominator. They all revolve around feelings of fear, terror, and panic, and more often than not, those feelings appear stronger every time her father is in any way part of those mentioned fragments.
Given the ongoing investigation into allegations of child neglect and endangerment and your ignorance of the possible causes of Everleigh's condition from our initial meeting, I felt it appropriate to get in touch with her sister Alice and request a meeting in hopes of receiving a clearer picture. Judging by the fact that it was you who brought my aunt and me into the picture of Everleigh’s healing journey, I will assume the information I am going to share will stay between us.
Alice told me of a specific event involving her sister and Mr Ravenstone, in which he attempted to put a memory-altering charm on Everleigh but was stopped by Alice before he could finish. She furthermore voiced the concern that this might not have been the first time, and that both sisters have been subjected to tea infusions containing mind-altering properties.
Now, I am aware that these are serious allegations and are based on no more than Alice’s word and my instinct, but I feel the need to inform you that I believe Mr Ravenstone’s interference with Everleigh’s brain — potentially over the course of multiple years — may be the cause of his daughter’s declining mental health.
Again, I ask you for discretion and hope to hear your input on my thoughts.
Sincerely,
Liliya Zdravkova
Alteration Subordinate, Argentum Memoriae
24 October 1922
Miss Zdravkova,
Thank you for your update, and for the manner in which you continue to approach Everleigh's treatment. I appreciate both your discretion and your willingness to keep me informed of any changes.
I must admit your letter has given me a lot to consider.
When we first met, I did not mention Alice's suspicions regarding memory charms or the use of memory altering potions. That omission was deliberate, not because I wanted to conceal information from you, but because I possessed zero evidence to prove our suspicions. As both a solicitor and a public servant, I have spent my adult life working with what can be proved vs feared. At the time, I believed Everleigh's condition was because of the events at the Dark Tower. I didn’t see the purpose in telling you about our suspicions when they were allegations I could neither prove nor explain.
Perhaps I was mistaken.
If Alice's memories are accurate, and if your own observations lead you toward the same conclusion, then the possibility that Everleigh's mind has been altered on more than one occasion cannot be dismissed. The idea that her own father would do such things is unsettling, not to mention that any altering is nearly impossible to identify.
If I had evidence of such events, I would give it to you. And dare I say, that the investigation would have taken a much different course. What I can offer you is my confidence in Alice. If she has chosen to confide in you, I believe she has done so sincerely.
Whether these potions or charms are the root of Everleigh's condition, will have to be left up to the healers to figure out. I trust your judgment, as well as that of your aunt, to pursue the truth.
If you find the need for records, testimony, or anything else that falls within my authority, all you need to do is ask. My biggest concern will continue to be Everleigh’s recovery and finding out what caused her issues.
Thank you again for your dedication to her care. I know the progress has been painfully slow, but I remain grateful that she has healers who refuse to stop searching just because the answers are difficult to find.
With sincere appreciation,
Bertram T. Nordstrom
Head of the Department of Magical Affairs
British Ministry of Magic
Harewood House
Wednesday 7 February 1923
Mr Nordstrom,
As you know, since our last correspondence in October, things with Everleigh have remained mostly the same. Throughout November, her mind continued to deny us access to parts I believe to be deeply buried memories connected to the very incidents we suspect to be the cause of her condition, making it impossible to confirm or disprove anything. Especially throughout December and into the new year, her response to our therapy efforts has been difficult, oftentimes requiring longer breaks between sessions, her moods marked by increased signs of fear and apprehension.
That, too, however, I believe ties back to my theory.
I will not go into full detail, seeing as it is exactly that — a theory. But I will say that a time dedicated to family, as Christmas is, and Everleigh’s somewhat worsening state around that frame specifically, feel like good indicators of what triggers these outbursts. They seem to centre around times of traumatic events/memories of her past that her subconscious mind reacts to, and considering Christmas Break away from Hogwarts meant extended exposure to her father — whom I still believe to be the root — I think it reasonable to assume my theory is beginning to take shape.
Of course, nothing is proven, and this remains little more than instinct. I am open to other possibilities, but for now, this seems to be the most likely.
The fact that Everleigh’s mood has significantly stabilised again during January feels like another sign we might be on the right track.
This leads me to the main part of this update.
For a few sessions now, I have been trying a different strategy. Everleigh’s reaction in December has made me realise that my initial approach may not have provided the support she needs. Instead of actively searching for evidence to help her heal her mind from the inside out, I have begun to leave space by merely existing alongside her, allowing her to heal it from the outside in, on her own terms.
If what we assume is correct and Eveleigh has been subjected to her father’s interference for an extended period, a space to feel safe in is what she needs most. I am hoping this new approach will create a better foundation for trust and a more comfortable way for her to face the things she still seems afraid of.
Again, I am looking forward to your insights, hoping you may be able to provide any further information about Everleigh’s time at home that might help us better understand what she has experienced. Anything you remember regarding changes in her behaviour, particularly around periods spent with her father, may prove useful in determining whether the pattern I have observed is more than coincidence.
Sincerely,
Liliya Zdravkova
Alteration Subordinate, Argentum Memoriae
12 February 1923
Miss Zdravkova,
Thank you for your last letter. Although I wish the process was quicker, I continue to appreciate both your honesty and your willingness to share not only your observations, but your reasoning as well.
I have read your letter several times in the last few days. It has taken some time to work through my thoughts and come up with a response.
As a solicitor, I have spent the better part of my life with the belief that every question can be answered through investigation, observation, and with enough evidence. It is how I have built my career, and in many respects, my life.
Your recent change in approach has reminded me that healing does not always follow those same principles. Not every question is answered the same way. Sometimes we must look down different avenues. There are times when working harder, or searching deeper, can hinder rather than help.
By creating an environment conducive to healing and safety, I believe we may see a different result. I believe there is wisdom in this.
You asked if I had noticed any patterns in Everleigh’s behaviour. Particularly surrounding her father. This is what took me the most time to unravel and ponder. Without truly thinking, I would have said no. While Thatcher has always been strict and demanding, I would have chalked any issues up to those of a father and daughter disagreeing.
As a father with a daughter. I am well versed in this area.
Looking back, I accepted many of her behaviours or quirks as simply part of her personality. Now, looking through a different lens, I wonder if they were actually signs of a frightened child.
Everleigh has always been... observant. More so than other children her age. She rarely entered a room before sweeping to see who was inside it. She seemed to always know when to speak and when to hold her tongue. This never caused concern. For years, I have always believed she possessed more maturity than others her age. Clever, smart, inquisitive, determined, independent, curious and gentle. My Everleigh was wise beyond her years, but now I wonder if I saw maturity when it was really caution.
Ever has always found peace in her solitude. While she was typically attached to Alice at the hip, she grew to love the quiet and alone time. If given the choice, she would find a small nook or closed off crawl space to sit and read. Always a book or journal in hand.
Until this moment, the journals never crossed my mind. She would fill the pages at least once a year, if not quicker. When Alice and Ever moved in with me, she had limited time to pack, only the journal she was currently using to draw came with her. There are conceivably dozens of journals somewhere, if Thatcher hasn’t destroyed them.
A problem for another day, but one I will actively work on.
You also mention Christmas. I confess I had not considered the significance until reading your letter. Looking back, as she grew older, she was always on the quieter side. At a young age, with her cousins, the volume would increase exponentially. A different Ever would emerge, more playful, louder, silly. While the adults were around, she was nearly invisible. Listening, watching, but saying nothing. This was nothing that raised any alarms. Merely... diminished in her parents' presence.
As the time came to return home, she would turn inward. It’s troubling to look back and see it with different eyes now. I question whether I misunderstood her disappointment of leaving the family home in Sweden, for worry and fear at going back to Blackthorn Hall.
I regret that I cannot offer you more certainty than this. Hindsight is a frustrating thing. It takes ordinary moments and asks us to view them from a different angle.
I am encouraged by your decision to allow Everleigh the space to heal at her own pace. I fear that she has spent years believing that her own thoughts and memories were betraying her. Perhaps, the greatest kindness we can give her, is a safe space to work through her trauma, and be at one with her thoughts without outside influence. Trust, once broken, needs to be earned. And maybe for Ever, that will be one quiet moment at a time.
Please continue to keep me informed of her progress, however small it may seem. There is no detail too insignificant if it helps to understand what has happened to her.
Thank you, Miss Zdravkova. Not only for your skill, but for your patience. I suspect the latter has become just as important as the former.
With my continued gratitude,,
Bertram T. Nordstrom
Head of the Department of Magical Affairs
British Ministry of Magic
Harewood House
Tuesday, 10 April 1923
Mr Nordstrom,
I am writing right after today’s therapy session with Everleigh because delaying this feels impossible. After March has been quite unsuccessful with therapy and progress, I think a little good news and hope are welcome; they certainly were for me.
I will preface this by saying Everleigh is far from fully healed or able to take care of herself without the help of healers or family. Progress remains slow and unpredictable, and I would be doing both you and myself a disservice by suggesting otherwise. However, for the first time since I began working with her, I believe we have seen a genuine indication that her mind is beginning to reconnect with itself.
Not only has she been remarkably present today, but she also made a conscious connection between the present and, more importantly, found a way to communicate with me through it. When I approached her in the garden, Everleigh seemed more aware of me than she has been before and, for the first time, greeted me aloud. This alone is reason enough to celebrate and be grateful for, but, as already mentioned, it gets better.
For a while, I sat with her in silence, watching the patients pass by alongside her. I made a casual comment about one of them without expecting an answer, and she didn’t—not in the traditional sense. When I entered her mind, however, Everleigh lingered on a very specific memory longer than has become normal: a hair disaster her cousin Matilda has gotten herself into, surrounded by her, her sister, and you.
The recollection of that moment—of her mind making an association between something happening in the present and an ordinary event from her past—is a massive step forward. We have not seen her do this before. More importantly, it was ot a memory of fear, pain, or trauma. It was a moment of family, laughter, and normalcy. Her mind found its way there without being prompted to search for it, which suggests to me that she is beginning to feel safe enough to allow herself access to memories that are not defined by fear.
The truly remarkable thing, however, is what followed. Although this subconscious connection is a win in itself, Everleigh went a step further. When I made another comment, she became active for the first time. She showed me a series of memories connected to her cousin Matilda. It lasted for only a few brief moments, but this was the time Everleigh appeared to deliberately use her memories to communicate with me. It was the first real, tangible piece of progress she has made since we began working together, and good reason to hope for further improvement.
Once more, I emphasise that this does not mean we have suddenly overcome the difficulties we have been facing. Nonetheless, this is a victory worth celebrating, and I hope hearing of this gives you as much joy as it did to me.
I will continue to provide Everleigh with the same space and patience that appear to be helping her, allowing her to dictate the pace of our sessions and trusting her mind to lead us where it needs to go. I am confident that this is a significant advancement towards a better life for Everleigh, and will keep you informed of any further developments.
Please let me know if you have been able to locate any of her journals. I believe something tangible from her past might help her continue along the course she is on now.
With kindest regards,
Liliya Zdravkova
Alteration Subordinate, Argentum Memoriae
29 April 1923
Miss Zdravkova,
Liliya…
This is the most wonderful news.
I assure you, I understand that Everleigh is not healed in the truest sense of the word, but the progress she has made is extraordinary. For the first time in many months, I find myself reading your letter with hope instead of concern.
What brought me the greatest joy was the memory she chose to show you. I remember it well.
Matilda, in her infinite wisdom, decided to curl her own hair. By herself. Armed with a curling potion and a magical curling wand. I have never seen anything quite like it. Everleigh attempted to help while trying very hard not to laugh. By the end of it, all three girls were in fits of laughter, Tilly's hair had become one enormous curly rat's nest, and I found myself wondering whether it would simply be easier to cut it all off.
I was promptly informed that such a suggestion made me a terrible grandfather.
Thankfully, cooler heads prevailed.
The fact that Everleigh chose that memory gives me more hope than I can explain. It tells me that somewhere beneath all the confusion and fear, she still remembers what it felt like to simply be a child. That alone feels like a tremendous step forward.
Your observation that she is beginning to associate the present with ordinary moments from her past is incredibly encouraging. I was especially moved by your description of Everleigh using those memories to communicate with you. Whether intentional or instinctive, it is the first time she has reached toward another person rather than retreating from them. I cannot overstate how significant I think this moment was.
Please accept my sincere gratitude. While Everleigh deserves every ounce of credit for taking these steps herself, I suspect they would not have been possible without the patience, kindness, and consistency you have shown her these past many months.
Regarding the journals, I have begun making inquiries.
I have enclosed one journal with this letter. It was found hidden in Everleigh's room at the estate in Sweden. She concealed it well, which leads me to believe the rest will be hidden as well. I remain hopeful that more will eventually be found.
Unfortunately, I have had no success recovering anything from Blackthorn Hall. I have reason to believe many of Everleigh's belongings remain there. Whether her journals have been preserved or destroyed, I simply cannot say.
My daughter, Everleigh's mother, has been no help in the matter. Margery has since moved to Paris and, at this point, has refused all correspondence.
I have written to Alice as well. If anyone knows where Everleigh might have hidden those journals, I believe it will be her. I remain hopeful she may succeed where I have not.
I hope the journal I have enclosed proves useful, you are welcome to keep it for as long as you need. If it offers even the smallest insight into the young girl she was before all of this, then it belongs in the hands of those trying to help her heal.
Thank you again, Liliya. Not only for your remarkable skill, but for the compassion you continue to show my granddaughter. It is a comfort to know she is surrounded by people who refuse to give up on her.
With my continued gratitude,
Bertram T. Nordstrom
Head of the Department of Magical Affairs
British Ministry of Magic
Spoiler
Everleigh's Journal: Age 7
12 December
Alice made me brush my hair AGAIN because she said I looked like I got into a fight with a pixie. I DIDN'T. I just forgot.
27 December
Christmas was nice. I got books and paints.
And ANOTHER dress with ruffles.
Ruffles are itchy. Why can’t I wear pants?
8 February
Grandpa Bram let us have cookies BEFORE dinner. He told us not to tell mother or father. We didn’t.
Best day ever.
19 May
GOOD NEWS! I found my journal. Obviously, because I'm writing in it now. Sometimes I hide it a little to well.
Found a robin's nest!
Alice said not to touch it because the mum would get scared.
I only looked. That was hard. I REALLY wanted to touch it.
3 June
Father says I ask too many questions.
I don't think that's possible.
There are still lots of things I don't know.
11 June
Mother said girls shouldn't climb trees.
I climbed one anyway.
Didn't get caught.
21 June
Father forgot I was in his office reading.
He gets funny when he works.
He talks to himself.
2 July
Found another hiding place in Father's office!
He looked surprised.
He told me not to touch things that don't belong to me.
I don't think he liked my surprise.
17 July
Alice says Father's office smells like old books.
I think it smells like fireplaces.
5 August
I hid behind the chair in Father's office because Mother wanted me to practice piano.
Nobody found me for almost an hour. Then Mother found me and was big mad. I had to practice for double the time.
14 August
Father got cross because I moved some papers.
I put them back exactly where they were.
He yelled. I’m not supposed to go in the office anymore.
29 August
Mother says I should smile more when visitors come over.
I think I smile enough.
7 September
There was a man in Father's office today.
I don't know him.
Father shut the door.
I had to finish my book somewhere else.
18 September
I know Father's safe number.
It's easy.
I won't tell anyone.
10 October
Alice says I read too much.
There isn't such a thing.
22 October
Father told me not to come into his office unless he says I can.
I don't know why.
Nothing interesting ever happens in there anyway.
1 November
Sometimes Father looks sad when he thinks nobody is watching.
I wish I knew how to make him smile.
Every time I try he seems to get more madder.
|